If you are about to dive deep into the world of web hosting, it might be time to move from shared hosting to VPS hosting. VPS stands for (Virtual Private Server) which offers you more power over your website’s resources, allowing flexibility and scalability.
If you’re new to web hosting, VPS hosting can seem intimidating. In this beginner’s guide, we will elaborate on VPS hosting, explaining what it is and how it works for your website.
Table of Contents
What is a Virtual Private Server?
Let’s begin with defining what VPS ( Virtual Private Server) is. A server’s primary definition is a powerful computer that stores all your essential data and files on your website. Eventually, when someone searches for your website by entering your domain name, this robust server serves up your website for your users.
The role of a Virtual Private server here is to use virtualization technology to split that one powerful server into multiple virtual servers. And then this one powerful server works as different separate servers.
Think of this Virtual Private Server (VPS) as your private apartment in a gigantic apartment complex. Like apartments share a building’s resources, VPS hosting shares a physical server’s resources with other websites.
VPS hosting lets you split your private space from other websites. You get your dedicated resources, including storage, RAM, and CPU power, so you have more control over your website’s performance.
You can customise your space to match your needs and add more resources as your website grows. It’s like having the perks of owning a private server without the hefty cost and technical maintenance.
How does VPS hosting work?
Now VPS hosting stimulates the experience of a dedicated server while you are still sharing the physical server with others.
When you pick a website hosting provider, they provide a virtual layer on top of your operating system (OS) using this virtual technology.
Each VPS acts like a separate server, with its operating system and software, and is isolated from other VPS on the same physical server. This means that users have more control over their server environment and can customise it to their specific needs without impacting other users on the same physical server.
Read a more comprehensive guide on How Does VPS Hosting Work
Benefits of VPS Hosting
Here are some benefits of VPS hosting to give you a better understanding of its usability:
- Improved Performance: One of the primary reasons to switch to VPS hosting is its increased performance compared to shared hosting. With a dedicated allocation of resources, VPS hosting offers faster loading times, increased website responsiveness, and better overall performance.
- Greater Control: VPS hosting gives you more control over your server environment, letting you customise and configure it to your specific needs. It means installing and running your software and applications, configuring your server settings, and controlling your security protocols.
- Improved Security: VPS hosting provides more security than shared hosting, as each VPS is separated from others on the same physical server. If one site on the server is compromised, it won’t affect other websites on the same server. Additionally, VPS hosting providers offer enhanced security features such as firewalls, monitoring, and backups.
- Scalability: VPS hosting offers scalability to easily enhance or downgrade your resources as your website or business needs a shift. You only have to pay for the resources you need when you need them and can quickly scale up or down as required.
- Individual configuration: VPS hosting gives you the freedom to install specific tools and apps which are not allowed on a shared hosting. For example your Project requires a different Linux distribution.
- Cost-Effective: VPS hosting is often more expensive than shared hosting. However, it is a more cost-effective solution than dedicated hosting. With VPS hosting, you have the benefits of reliable resources and greater control without the cost of a dedicated server. Furthermore, VPS hosting is often more affordable than cloud hosting solutions.
When should you consider shifting to VPS Hosting?
The ideal time to shift to VPS hosting depends on your website or business needs. Below are a few reasons when it’s a perfect time to move toward VPS hosting:
- Increase in Traffic: If your website is experiencing a surge in traffic and you’re facing slower load times, it might be time to switch to VPS hosting. VPS hosting offers dedicated resources, allowing for better performance and quicker loading times even under high traffic volumes.
- Need for Higher Control: If you want more control over your server territory and want to install custom software or applications, VPS hosting can provide you with the flexibility and customisation options you need.
- Enhanced Security: VPS hosting can provide advanced security features such as firewalls, monitoring, and backups. If you need to protect sensitive data or your website from potential threats, VPS hosting can offer you the added security you need.
- Resource-Intensive Applications: If you’re handling resource-intensive applications or services, you might find that shared hosting restricts your ability to use these services to their full potential. VPS hosting offers dedicated resources, allowing you to use these applications to their fullest extent.
- Growing Business: As your business expands, you might find that more than shared hosting is needed. VPS hosting can provide you with the resources and flexibility that you need to scale your business and meet the demands of your growing customer base.
Things you should consider while choosing the best VPS hosting service.
Choosing an ideal VPS hosting service is extremely important for your website. So, below are a few things you must consider before choosing a VPS hosting provider:
- Reliability: When choosing a VPS hosting plan, it’s crucial to pick a provider with a track record of reliability. Check the provider’s uptime guarantee, and gather and review feedback from other users to get an idea of their authenticity.
- Hardware: The hardware operated in the VPS hosting plan can make a massive difference in performance. Look for a provider that uses high-quality hardware, such as SSD storage and fast processors, to assure optimal performance.
- Customer Support: An ideal VPS hosting provider comes with excellent customer support. Find a provider that provides 24/7 support through different channels such as phone, email, and live chat. Ensure the provider has a good reputation for responsiveness and helpfulness.
- Backup Service: Accidents can happen, so choosing a VPS hosting provider with reliable backup services is essential. Choose a provider that provides automatic backups and has a system in place for quickly restoring data in case of failure.
- Operating System Compatibility: Ensure the VPS hosting provider offers the operating system (OS) you need. Some providers offer only specific OS options, such as Linux or Windows, while others provide a more comprehensive range. Ensure the OS is compatible with the software and applications you plan to run on the VPS.
With our beginner’s guide, you are no longer unaware of VPS hosting and its uses. We hope our guide was helpful enough to get you started with choosing the best VPS Hosting for you and using it to your advantage.
Looking for managed VPS plans? Get fast cloud VPS with SSD storage, lightning-fast UK-based servers and top-notch customer support with our VPS hosting plans.