Dedicated servers are physical servers that are rented or purchased exclusively for your own organisational needs. They are used by small and medium enterprises as well as large organisations that are in need of high data security level. Dedicated server hosting is ideal for firms that require a top-notch server capacity.
Small Business Servers: What You Should Understand
When it comes to selecting a server, it is paramount to understand the crucial role played by the operating systems of the company’s PCs. For the server software to work efficiently, you should have a specialised OS. You can choose between Linux and Windows Operating System (OS) when you require an efficient server OS. Note these when selecting the best OS:
- Linux, also called a server OS, can work for several users simultaneously. Some of the well-known Linux distributions include CentOS, Ubuntu, and Debian.
- Windows leads in terms of a pleasing GUI (Graphical User Interface) for server management.
- Server-side, Linux is more preferred as it is mostly free and hard to hack.
- Both Windows OS and Linux play a unique role and are equal regarding preference.
Uses of Servers in the Business Environment
These are the common uses of servers in small and medium business environment:
- Hosting eCommerce – Selecting the right server will enable a firm to conduct an efficient and secure commercial transaction. Your client’s financial and personal information will be protected when you have effective servers.
- Hosting applications – There will be no need to have new hardware when you use a remote server to host apps. Use cloud storage instead of having in-house storage equipment.
- Securing hosting email – It is essential for firms to switch to domain-specific email clients to uphold their digital reputation and boost security.
- Hosting a website – Having a reliable web host improves the reliability and speed of your site. It will also increase the ranking of your search engine.
- Data backup – Backup your data to the cloud to improve data storage security. Reloading the data in case something that was not expected happens is easier when you have a reliable cloud storage solution.
- Document storage – Document storage is pivotal; stored data comes in handy for data recovery strategies.
Remote servers are very important to SMEs. They can support several services at a go; for increased efficiency and accessibility, a firm can use different servers for separate features.
Comparing Cloud and Dedicated Server Hosting
Although dedicated and cloud servers have many similarities regarding the roles they play, they have several differences. For example, a dedicated server uses physical infrastructure whereas a cloud server uses virtual infrastructure. Unlike the dedicated server that works in the single-tenant environment, the cloud server requires a multi-tenant environment. The payment plans also differ in the two hosting options.
Here are other notable differences:
Since shared hosting server’s resources are utilised by many websites simultaneously, the cloud server faces several performance limitation challenges. It will, therefore, be hard to keep track of user experiences and your website’s performance. Performance, on the other hand, is not an issue when it comes to dedicated servers as there is no resource sharing.
In Shared hosting, consider a scenario where you are using similar resources with an unethically or illegally operating website. It is possible for search engines to blacklist the server IP address which will affect your website; this is detrimental to your firm. Dedicated servers pose a lesser threat since you will be using the server alone.
Level of Control
The hosting provider is responsible for your website maintenance when dealing with shared hosting; this comes as an advantage for website owners with little technical know-how. However, this means that you do not have full control over your website which is not the case when you are using dedicated resources on a dedicated server.
Disc Space and Bandwidth
Sharing resources limit the amount of disc space and bandwidth since there are many users on the server: this is a significant shared hosting drawback. If you do not want such a scenario, it might be a great idea of selecting the spacious and well-connected dedicated hosting.
Since many cloud hosting service providers give users a monthly payment option, having a shared hosting is more cost-effective compared to dedicated servers.
Scaling Up and Down
It is difficult to scale up or down when a small business is dealing with a dedicated server. It is easy to do so when using a cloud server.
Dedicated servers are preferable for small enterprises when these factors are put into consideration:
- Performance level.
- Level of control.
- Bandwidth connection and disc space.
On the other hand, cloud server hosting leads in terms of:
- The ability to scale up or down.
Make your choice depending on the firm’s requirements and preferences. Nonetheless, it is essential to choose a server that is flexible enough, and that will allow you to grow with clients. (It is easy to respond to clients and serve them timely when dealing with a flexible server; you will, therefore, have a simple time acquiring and maintaining customers).
Remember to choose a server that will help you take full advantage of the new technology. Having an expert-guided server option will come in handy in this case. Make your choice wisely.
Why You Should Have a Well-Maintained Dedicated Server?
(Image source: elements.envato.com)
Opting for dedicated server hosting ensures that you are using dedicated resources which is greatly advantageous. For instance, you will not have to share the firm’s resources with other sites; they will not jam your traffic. Using the server alone makes it more flexible and makes it possible to grow your website and firm easily and efficiently.
Additionally, using dedicated resources will ensure that your small enterprise is performing optimally and securely. The good news is that you – or your organisation – will have your IP address which you will use alone. Furthermore, having a dedicated server will help you dodge costly equipment maintenance and purchase expenditures. Your hosting provider is responsible for maintaining and building your server.
How to Select a Dedicated Server Host
The server that your organisation chooses will make all the difference when it comes to business efficiency. It is pointless to overpay for a resource that does not scale to your need; it is, therefore, essential to consider all factors needed when selecting your most preferred server before making any decision. Whether you want WordPress Dedicated Servers, cPanel Dedicated Servers or CloudLinux Dedicated Servers, making a great selection should not be a hassle. Here are some tips to help you select the best web host for your company:
- Select a host who provides high bandwidth and has a secure location. Choose dedicated servers that are conveniently located in secured data centres and the ones that have ultra-fast bandwidth connection speeds.
- Do not base your decision on software only; inspect the hardware. Is the processor used resilient, stable, and high-performing?
- Inspect the deployment speeds. You need a server that will put your new website online within the shortest time possible.
- Be keen on the migration options. If you need to move a website to any dedicated server, it is paramount to choose a service provider that will guide you through willingly and promptly since the process is sometimes daunting and complicated.
- Select a service provider who is willing to offer customer support services conveniently and timely. The provider should also be willing to offer full programming support.
That’s it! We’ve examined dedicated hosting servers and we hope that you have enough information to help you decide on what’s best for your small or medium size company. Of course, for larger companies, there’s no question, go dedicated to enhance the security, privacy and flexibility of your server plus benefit from dedicated resources. For those who are still undecided, when you upgrade to a premium hosting package, it is essential that you consider long term factors such as cost, security, scalability, and resilience. Also, remember to select a reputable hosting provider for the best results.